Friday, October 20, 2017

Paul Simon – "Kodachrome" (1973)


I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So, momma, don't take my Kodachrome away

I can’t remember the last time I took a photograph with a film camera – or any kind of camera, for that matter.  Like the rest of the world, I use my smartphone to take photos.

When I retired recently, I had to give up my Blackberry Priv (which belonged to my law firm) and buy a phone of my own.  

No, I didn’t get an iPhone.  (Do I look like a lemming to you?)  I chose a Samsung Galaxy S8 instead.

I’m not sure what the point is of being able to take photos like these, but I did it anyway:

Lake Needwood

A house in Hancock, MD

On the Western Maryland Rail Trail

*     *     *     *     *

Kodak stopped selling Kodachrome color film in 2009.

In 2010, the final roll of Kodachrome manufactured was given to Steve McCurry, who is best known for his photo titled “Afghan Girl,” which appeared on the cover of the June 1985 National Geographic:

  
That roll was processed by Dwayne’s Photo in Parsons, Kansas, which was the last photo lab in the world that processed Kodachrome.

*     *     *     *     *

“Kodachrome” was released on Paul Simon’s first solo album, There Goes Rhymin’ Simon, in 1973.  


The recording of the song on that album says “Everything looks worse in black and white,” while subsequent live recordings of the songs say “Everything looks better in black and white.”  Simon has said that he doesn’t remember whether he originally that line with “worse” or “better” in it.

Here’s “Kodachrome”:


Click below to buy the song from Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment