Friday, December 23, 2016

Simple Minds – "Don't You (Forget About Me)" (1985)


Don’t you 
Forget about me

Christmas is just around the corner, boys and girls.

The postman hasn’t delivered your gift to 2 or 3 lines yet.  Surely you didn’t forget about me . . . did you?

If you did, don't worry.  There's still time.


A nice gift is only fitting given all that 2 or 3 lines gave you in 2016.  We’re talking 157 snappy and informative posts so far – none of which cost you a penny.

OK, OK . . . some of them were sour and mean-spirited rather than snappy and informative.  As my fish-eating friends like to say, “Mea culpa, mea culpa . . . mea maxima culpa!

I promise things will be different in 2017.  2 or 3 lines is turning over a new leaf.  I’m going back to the golden age of 2 or 3 lines . . . no more sneering and spitefulness.  (Well, maybe a little.)

In 2016, I gave up some things that were distracting and time-consuming for the sake of my wildly popular little blog, but that wasn’t enough to restore 2 or 3 lines to its glory days.  

So next year, I’m walking away from my day job so I’ll be able to devote the time and effort to 2 or 3 lines that it deserves.  And if I don’t have to make the daily slog to my office and back every day, I’ll be in a better place mentally – which is good news for all you loyal readers:

(A sign in my cardiologist's office)
*     *     *     *     *

No one wanted to record “Don’t You (Forget About Me).”  It was offered to Bryan Ferry, Billy Idol, and Cy Curnin – all of them said thanks, but no thanks.

Simple Minds wasn’t interested in recording the song at first, but Chrissie Hynde – who at the time was married to the group’s frontman, Jim Kerr – talked them into it.

It was a good decision.  The song went all the way to #1 on the Billboard “Hot 100” after being featured in the 1985 movie, The Breakfast Club:



I heard it just the other day in this Walmart TV commercial:



Here’s the official music video for “Don’t You (Forget About Me)”:



Click below to buy the song from Amazon: 




1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Retirement! Just in time for your grandkids to arrive!

    ReplyDelete