Sunday, February 5, 2012

Madonna -- "Hung Up" (2005)

Ring, ring, ring
Goes the telephone
The lights are on 
But there's no one home
Tick, tick, tock
It's a quarter to two
And I'm done
I'm hangin' up on you

I'd like to meet the man who blows off Madonna so casually.  I could learn a lot from that man.  LIKE HOW TO BE EVEN LESS SUCCESSFUL IN MY RELATIONSHIPS WITH WOMEN!

Madonna may perform this song during her Super Bowl XLVI halftime performance, or she may not.  In case you haven't noticed, "Madge" (they used to call her that when she lived across the pond) has a mind of her own.

[NEWS FLASH! M.I.A. and Nicki Minaj will join Madonna onstage at the big game!]

Madonna has released roughly 75 singles since 1982, almost half of which made it into the top ten.  Twelve of Madonna's singles have reached #1 on the Billboard "Hot 100," while an unbelievable 39 have reached #1 on the Billboard "Hot Dance Club Songs" chart.  So she had an embarrassment of riches to work with when she put together her halftime-show playlist.

"Hung Up" (from her 10th studio album, Confessions on a Dance Floor, which was released in 2005) only made it to #7 on the US "Hot 100," but was a #1 hit in Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, and the UK.

From the "Hung Up" music video
My favorite Madonna song of all time is "Beautiful Stranger," from the Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me soundtrack.  (As Saint Francis de Sales observed, "Flowers often grow more beautifully on dung-hills than in gardens.")  

I've already written about "Beautiful Stranger," but I could have easily cut and pasted that post here and saved myself some work -- most of you wouldn't have known that I had cheated because YOU DON'T PAY ATTENTION!

But I would never do that.  If you had to list the core values of 2 or 3 lines, "honesty" would be #1 on that list.    

(Actually, "click on my ads" might be #1 on that list.  But "honesty" would be no lower than #2.)

I decided to feature "Hung Up" mainly because of the song's music video.  There is some good dancing in that video, boys and girls.  But the most compelling thing about this video are the shots of the 47-year-old Madonna stretching.

Here's "Hung Up":


Here's a very funny (and very crude) parody of the "Hung Up" video:



Click here if you'd like to order the song from Amazon:
    

No comments:

Post a Comment